Monday, May 03, 2010

Week 272 - 100lb loss... revisited

1.6lb loss!

Well, if that wasn't a good loss in itself, it takes me down to a fraction under 12½ stone, which means I have once again reached that 100lbs marker from my original starting point just over 5 years ago.

OK, I first reached this marker 3 years ago (week 110), but I don't think that invalidates the whole thing.

The reality is between 95% and 98% of all people who go on a diet, put all the weight back on within 2 to 3 years. And most of them actually end up heavier than when they started.

Although my weight did start creeping back up, across 2½ years, I put on no more than 23lbs and have now taken that off again.

And it's all about focusing on eating healthily - not on dieting.

Weight loss is a side effect of being healthier, and as such it's sustainable and doesn't get you adopting stupid, dangerous eating patterns just to lose the pounds

The battleground is then not with the food, but with how we deal with why we overeat, and how we use food to cope with high emotional states.

Focus on eating healthily. It really is the best way


Starting Weight: 19st 9lb - 275lbs
Current Weight: 12st 6.8lb - 174.8lbs
Body fat: 24.2%
Total Weight Loss: 100.2lbs

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!

Sayre said...

Hurray! I agree with you - nothing should be off limits, but when presented with a choice, go with the healthier one and do all your eating in moderation. And get as much exercise as you can. This is the way I'm trying to do it now and it seems to be working.

Congratulations on getting back below your hundredweight!

Apex Zombie said...

Congrats, mate!!! Jackanackanory!

fatmammycat said...

Heh, I KNEW you'd have it this week, well done Kim.

Kim Ayres said...

Thanks for all your positive comments!

12 and a half stone is all the victory I ever wanted. I'm not specifically aiming to get lower. If I was at this weight for the rest of my life I'd be quite happy.

However, given my eating regime at the moment isn't going to stop for another month or 2, it's quite possible a few more pounds will come off.

I am a bit curious as to where I'll level off

SeaShore said...

Congratulations on hitting the 100 mark again. I would be very happy with the maintenance record you've achieved.

Managing emotional eating will be a lifetime work in progress for me.

Kim Ayres said...

SeaShore - the emotional eating will always be an issue for those of us for whom it was a large feature of why we became overweight.

I think it's rather like alcoholics who are dry - they say they will always be alcoholics, even if they never have another drink. Likewise I think we will always be over-eaters, even if we never over-eat again.

Our relationship with food will always be something we are conscious of

Morgen M said...

I agree with you. We are always overeaters - even if we never over-eat again. Food is like a hug, and when my life gets scary, I want a hug and to be told everything will be OK, like mom and dad used to tell me, when I was a little girl. They didn't do that after I turned 5, so I turned to food. It never let me down. Hence, the large woman I am today. Hugs - once given, need to be given often. Food, while not as satisfying, works.

Kim Ayres said...

Morgen - it's one of those things we need to look at if we are ever to find ways to control our over eating.

So long as food is our primary form of hugs or nurturing, then whenever things go wrong in our lives - and of course things will always go wrong at time - then we will always turn to food for comfort.

One of the strategies we need to develop is to find other ways of feeling nurtured - whether this is in learning how to accept and believe compliments, or feeling good about creating or growing things or any number of other ways of feeling that we are being nurtured